When Ryan and I were kidless and newly married we would take various road trips and on the longer one we would pick a book to read in the car together (those days are long gone, now we just take turns crawling in the back of the mini van and putting out proverbial fires with the muchkins). One of the ones we read early on is called The 5 Love Languages. Hokey, I know. I totally concur with the rolling of the eyes, but honestly it was a very helpful book and I would highly recommend it. Anyhow, Ryan's primary love language is words of affirmation. Mine is acts of service of course--like sweeping and cleaning and laundry kinds of acts of service--although I will never turn down a word or two of affirmation.

So, Ryan, these are some words of affirmation for you, not because it is your birthday or father's day or our anniversary--just because it is a rainy Wednesday in April and I love you.

-thanks for working so hard on a daily basis. I am proud of what you have accomplished in your career. . . from your days as a health/gym teacher, to stay at home dad, now a talented web developer.
-i admire your drive to learn new things--whether it is about the best ground cover, wild turkeys or ruby on rails--you are always learning new things
-you are creative and fun. we would never have so many dance parties without you (although I get credit for teaching the kids the chicken dance--I do have a little fun in me) and forts would never get made if it was left up to me.
-sounds simple--but you are funny. That is what lured me in back in our 'friend days' and that is still one my favorite things about you.
-Thanks for having things clean when I get home from yoga or work--even if that means you did it during my 5 minute drive home--it is appreciated
-thanks for being thoughtful and putting me first--even with the little things--like the last piece of pizza or the last cookie.
-you are the best financial advisor I have ever had. Thanks for managing our $ and for keeping it a secret from me so that I stay balanced
-thanks for being the captain of the bedtime train these days. you make bathtime for the kids much more fun with the 'carwash' and whatever you call the kamikaze towel game
-thanks for date nights--would do a date every night if we had the $, time and babysitters to cover it


Well, it doesn't cover everything, but it is a start. You can thank Gary Chapman. Love you.