I  had a perfect Mother's Day. Breakfast at Starbucks (we did Northstar the day before as part of 'mothers day weekend' and I had the pancakes as a splurge), church, relaxing while the girls napped, family lunch made by Ryan, the zoo, dinner again made by Ryan and then just relaxing in the evening. During church my caffeinated mind started to wander back to my own mother's day memories growing up (corsages for moms, having all the moms at church all stand up,  reading proverbs 31 at church--every year, brunch or lunch for mom, etc) and I started to think about how weird it is that now I am on the other side of that fence.  Don't get me wrong, I love it, but sometimes it's just weird that I am the mom.  I think I am starting to feel more like a parent too. When the girls were first born, it seemed a little like babysitting or even having a pet (just gotta keep that thing alive.). Of course I loved them in an indescribable way, but they just don't give much back in return in those first few months. Then the smiles come, but they are pretty free and loose with those--even with strangers, so I still didn't quite feel 'it' yet. I think some of my favorite moments as a parent are when they really start to show preference for you--you are their comfortable place, where they feel safe. They reach for you, climb up your legs when they are scared, are excited when you come to get them out of their cribs in the mornings or when you come home from work. My very favorite is when I pick them up from the daycare at our gym (mind you, it's two hours max).  First I just like to watch them playing before I get their attention, and then when I say their names, their heads snap up and they squeal and laugh and come running for me. As simple as that experience sounds, I have to say that nothing else has compared to it yet and it really feels like I have 'arrived' and am now an official mom. One of the best blog posts that my friend Rachel Elek has written included a video of picking Norah up from daycare and it was same experience (except Norah first threw her toy hamburger and then ran)--so now I truly identify with that and I love it!




Lydia on the carousel before she cried









Grace combing a goat








Lydia combing a goat











Ryan and Grace with the lorakeets.  (not my favorite)










Grace on the carousel before she cried









Me and my girls on our second mother's day













Lydia decided to eat the chalk at Jeni's before we were able to get our icecream















Ahhh, much better!